A Technology Project Supporting Success for Every Student by Making School Computers Available to Families After School Hours
Innovative after-school technology programs are supported through the Foundation funds. These grants provide the opportunity to open school computer labs in the evenings so students can do their homework, bring their parents to show them what they are doing, and orient parents to computers in the classroom. Grants are awarded only to MCPS school programs.
How to Apply for an Extended Technology Hours Grant
Individual schools may apply to the Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) Educational Foundation, Inc., for funds to open computer labs and/or research and learning hubs to students and their parents/guardians one or more evenings a week. Providing after-hours family access to computer-based information and communication will leverage existing equipment, software, and Internet resources for both students and their families.
The Montgomery County PUblic Schools (MCPS) Educational Foundation, Inc. extended technology hours grant applications are available on our Website. For your convenience, the online application is interactive. It must be downloaded, typed, and printed for submission. Completed applications will be judged using the following guidelines:
- To allow students to build on technology skills, research strategies, and curricular content they are learning in school
- To provide opportunities for students to use computers for their school assignments and research projects with help from their parents
- To increase parental involvement in student learning via technology access
- To give parents the opportunity to obtain/improve technology skills by learning from their children
II. Criteria for School Participation
- A minimum of 10 computers, at least five of which have Internet access, to allow at least 10 families to participate
- Printer capability
- A proposed plan that identifies goals and provides for managing the project and achieving its Goals
III. Application Process
Principals who would like to participate should submit a written proposal to the MCPS Educational Foundation. The proposal, on the attached application form, should include:
- School goals for the project
- School staff—and any community volunteers – identified to implement the project
- Plan for inviting families, determining participation, and managing evening hours
- A timeline that includes dates and hours of family participation for the year
- A budget with a list of specific costs
- Means of evaluating success in reaching the project goals
IV. End-of-Year Reports
If a grant is awarded, a final report will be due at the completion of the activity or not later than June 28 of the grant year. Specific use of funds must be identified. Balance of funds not expended must be returned to the Foundation unless excess funds will be used to continue the project in the new year (an acounting of these funds will be required.) Please complete MCPS form 280-73 or submit a narrative. The final report must include the following information:
Program's title, school name, and the award recipient's name
A narrative of your program and outcomes
Signatures from applicant and applicatn's princiipal, director, or supervisor
Original receipts must be taped onto a white, letter-sized sheet of papter. Write your program title, school name, and award recipient's names on the top of the page
Note: Funds can be used to pay a staff member at $25.00 an hour (budget $27.00 an hour to include employee benefits) to work with students and families and provide help as needed and to pay for miscellaneous costs such as postage for invitations, instructional materials for parents to take home, printed bilingual materials, or paper for certificates of participation. Funds cannot be used for equipment.
Who can apply?
Extended Hours Technology Grants are awarded to MCPS schools and staff.
How do I apply?
An application form must be completed and signed by the school principal. Grant applications and guidelines are sent to schools and in the future will be available on this web site. The application and guidelines provide clear instructions about the process and the due dates of the completed applications.
When can I apply?
The availability of Extended Hours Technology Grants is announced in The Bulletin at the beginning of the school year.
What is the deadline to apply?
The deadline for FY 2013 Extended Hours Technology Grants is September 26, 2012. Awards to be made by October 25, 2012.
The application should be submitted to:
MCPS Educational Foundation
c/o the Office of the Chief Operating Officer
Carver Educational Services Center (CESC)